Adell Fire Department 1891  to 1991

Benjamin Harrison was president of the United States, Levi P. Morton his Vice President and electricity was being installed in the White House in 1891. George W. Peck was governor of Wisconsin, and a group consisting of nineteen dedicated men from the area which came to be known as Adell, were busy organizing a fire department.

Before we get into the history of the fire department it would be well to learn a little about the early beginnings of the Village of Adell.

Located in the southern part of Sheboygan County, and known as Sherman Station, this village owed its' existence to the railroad which was the main factor in maintaining the village's growth, as was the case with other villages which sprung up along the tracks.

Christian Gersmehl was the owner of 160 acres of land at this location, land which he had held since 1853. The "Wisconsin Central" railroad came through in 1873. This inspired Gersmehl to layout a part of his farm into lots and named it Sherman, after the township in which it was located. Because of the railroad it gradually became known as Sherman Station.

Prior to 1853, abstracts of the village indicate that at least a part of the present village was owned by Willis Stanely in 1847.

Although Adell was not incorporated as a village until 1918, the history of white inhabitants dates all the way back to 1848, just 10 years after the creation of Sheboygan County.

One of the early settlers of Sherman Station was Jacob Hazner, who was a carpenter by trade and practically built this little hamlet.

Its' name was changed to Adell about 1890, by Noah Saemann, an early postmaster, probably because it lies in a wide dell or valley.

The first streets were names State, Maine and Sherman. In only nine years the population had grown to 61.

The railroad was the main factor in determining the permanence of Adell. Following the erection of a depot, a new post office was built, a hotel ... the Union House was put up, and a home for the depot agent was built.

The American Hotel (today's Hill's Bar& Grill) was founded at Adell in 1877 by Daniel Steuerwald who had come to America in 1842, at the age of two. After serving in the Civil War, he became the hotel's proprietor.

Adell continued to grow as is evidenced in the Wisconsin State Business Director published in 1889. It lists the population as 140. The nearest banking facility was located in Plymouth, ten miles to the north. Mail was delivered daily to G. Zuengleirwho was the postmasters well as operator of a furniture store. The village had two livery stables operated by Wm. Borkenhagen and Gustav Degnitz. George Mantel and Henry Miller

served the community as shoemakers and overnight travelers stayed at the hotel operated by F. Winter. E. B. Rook was the railroad, express and telegraph agent.

E.B. Burr and Co. was the manufacturer of preserves. Residents could purchase wagons from W.C. Goldammer who was the wagon maker and plows from plow maker Charles Helminger. Charles is the Great Grandfather of Mark Helminger, who is currently resides in the village.

Horse harnesses were made and repaired in Herman Weinhold's Harness Shop. The 1885 Gazeteer lists the name as "Weinholt." To complete the picture, there was Gottlieb Hillger, the village blacksmith.

Unlike the existence of 4 taverns within the village today, in 1889, only one saloon served the town and it was operated by Edward Hackett. Noah Saemann ran the general store which was destroyed by fire in 1912. h,

The story goes that early on an October morning, robbers blew open the safe in the store. This resulted in a fire which destroyed the building and the stock. It was believed that the burglar was the same person who Mr. Saemann had picked up as a hitch hiker earlier in the day and had given him a ride from Plymouth to Adell. The man was never apprehended.

After the fire, Saemann rebuilt the store and it continued to be operated as a grocery store until 4 years ago. It is now occupied by an antique store called "Sentimental Journey."

Joseph Kilb was chosen as Adell's first village president at the time of its incorporation in 1918 and was also the first president of the Adell Fire Department acquiring that position at the time of the departments' incorporation in 1915.

Volunteer fire fighters have been around as long as history beginning with the old bucket brigades.

The recorded story of fire in America begins in May of 1607 at Jamestown. The first recorded fire in America occurred when the community blockhouse caught fire. Most apparel, lodging and private provisions were destroyed.

Fires occurring throughout the first American colonies was not uncommon. Perhaps the chief cause of fire during the early Colonial period was chimneys. In America as in Europe, chimneys were made of wood, lined and covered with mortar or bud. As the covering grew dry and chipped away from the wood, the chimney was exposed directly to the fire. Similar problems arouse when chimneys became clogged with wood tar, causing chimney fires which would enkindle the wood structures.

Ordinances established in the early 1600's called on citizens to fill three-gallon buckets of water at sunset and leave them on their doorstops. Bucket brigades gathered the waiting buckets and hooks and ladders and raced to the fire scene.

As it was then, it is true today that being a volunteer in the fire department is a source of great pride.

These volunteer companies provided equipment at their own expense engines, ladders, and so on. It was stored at strategic places within the community.

Different means of raising funds needed to maintain equipment has always been a problem for fire companies as they were called in the 1800's.

On the local scene, it was in 1891 that a group of Adell citizens felt the need of fire protection for their thriving community. The first Adell Fire Department was formed and was known as the "Bucket Brigade." Charter members of the Adell Bucket Brigade were:

Thomas Allan
John F. Ehle
Fred Hilger
Fred A. Mehlos
Torhothy Scanlan
Edwin Stratton
William Zuengler
Frank Degnitz
George W. Forbes
Gottlieb Hillger
John Russart
Anton Seifert
Herman Wieting
James, Dunn, Sr.
William Goldammer
Joseph Kilb
Noah Saemann
Henry Stielow
Louis Ziegler

Because of the existence of the railroad, there were frequently stragglers hopping off of freight cars and looking for food and shelter from the village residents.. In order to handle these people and to provide for shelter during their stay within the confines of the village, a special little house was built on Maine Avenue directly west of the present Adell Whey Co. Food was provided by Fred Mehlos who operated the tavern now being occupied by Richard Schwab's Scooter Bar.

Tramps could partake of breakfast and supper as guests of the village.
After supper these transients were taken to the so-called "Tramp House" for a free night's lodging. One nights hospitality was all that was allowed for in the morning the men were told to be on their way and out of the village.

Some years later the "Tramp House" was moved to a spot now occupied by the Adell Post Office. This became the first fire house, complete with a wooden tower, in which was stored ladders and pails, which was about all the equipment the men owned. A number of years later this building was destroyed by a fire and a new building was built on Wisconsin Street.

On May 26th, 1915 A.R. Capelle, Gottlieb Capelle, A.A. Cramer, Louis Degnitz, LA. Goldammer, Henry Haas, JW. Hess, Otto Hillger, Jos. W. Kilb, Frank Lamb, William Ludwig, John Pietenpol, E.F. Schilling, Henry Tenpas, L. VanEss, George F. Young, L.C. Ziegler, Phillip Zuengler, William and Zuengler signed the Articles of Incorporation, organizing the Adell Volunteer Fire Department.

The first election of officers of the corporation was held on June 10th, 1915 at Young's Hall. Presently this building is occupied by Wayne and Arlene Hill at 622 Maine Avenue.

It was also on this date that Henry Weinhold &wife deeded to the Adel I Fire Department a 40 by 75 foot parcel of land on which to construct a building which was to be used to house the fire equipment. This building located at5l 0 Wisconsin Street continues today as the St. Patrick's Parish Center.

After it was no longer used by the fire department, it was purchased by American Legion Post *462, remodeled and became known as the Adell Civic Center. It was used for Village Board Meetings, Homemakers, the Legion, the local 4-H club and from time to time for family social functions. In 1986 the Village purchased the former Adell School building, St. Patrick's Parish bought the Civic Center and is using it for religion classes, parish socials and from time to time it is rented for various family activities.

  With incorporation behind them, the fire
  department looked to improving their
  equipment. During 1915 the bucket
  brigade used buckets gave way to a hand
  pumped fire wagon. Although it has long
  since been retired from active duty, it
  continues to be a prized possession of the
  department today. Ellsworth Navis, who served
  as the Village Clerk for over 20 years,
  remembers the old bucket brigade and recalls
  that the buckets were made of fiber. After their
contents were handed to the men on the roof and emptied of their contents they
were tossed to the ground to be used again.

Richard Borkenhagen operated the blacksmith shop which was located at the corner of Sherman Avenue and Wisconsin Street. Up until. several years ago, this was the site of Bill Miske's blacksmith shop, a business which he took over from his father Oscar.

Richard's brother Ernst was a well known blacksmith in Plymouth. These two brothers are shown with Adell's first Fire Department Wagon which they built for the fire department. There are no dates with the picture, however it is known that Richard operated the blacksmith shop until 1928, when he moved to the farm in the Town of Sherman, now Kaiser Wrecking, on County A.

Three years after incorporation of the Adell Fire Department, on February 20,1918 the Village of Adell decided to become incorporated. President Joseph Kilb was assisted by Clerk Edgar Schilling, Treasurer William Zuengler and Supervisor George Young, and Trustees U.S. Swan and A.A. Bettner.

October 14,1918 the Adell Volunteer Fire Department sold land and Equipment to the Village for $1.00 and with it accepted a mortgage debt, for $600.

A humorous note taken from the minutes of the September 1934 meeting read: "Motion was made and approved to have a ten minute recess to enjoy a Watermelon presented by our President Mr. John Plekenpol. Carried." This followed by: "Motion made and approved that we extend a vote to Thanks to our President for the watermelon. Carried.

The Adell Firemen's band was organized in fall of 1934. There isn't any other reference to the band in the minutes but a picture of the group would indicate that they were of substantial size and could put out some good "foot stomping" music. Village resident Arthur Heidel recalls that picnics were held in George Kilb's park (the George Shaver home site today) and the bank would furnish the music.

A chat with Elmer Machut of Sherman Center revealed that he was once a member of the band (possible in the early 20's) but doesn't think he is in the picture. The Adell Fireman's Band practiced in the second story of the Adell Bank. They earned money playing at picnics and at playing at a church event would entitle them to a free dinner at the event.

Meeting records are not available for the years between 1924 and 1934 but items listed after those dates indicate that a fire truck complete with rubber tires had been purchased to replace the hand pumper. This 1929 REO Speedwagon is still in possession if the department.

The next year the department sponsored a baseball team and began making plans for a homecoming. Details of the homecoming were not explained in the department minutes.

During 1938 the department added to their list of equipment by authorizing the purchase of a 50 ft. chain and a pair of asbestos gloves. Members were also investigating the purchase of a small hose and a spray nozzle and two members were sent to Madison to attend fire school.

After making a decision to honor the deceased members of the fire department by flying the flag at half mast on a specific day of the year, it was discovered that the department did not own a flag and so the village was petitioned for a new flag.

Training sessions were formed and Captains were established for the purpose of more effectively performing their duties at the fire scene. Volunteers were assigned to Captains and were to report to that person when arriving at the fire.

On a more humorous note, the July 1939 minutes indicate "The Fire chief was absent without leave on account of Movies at Cleveland."

Firefighting was not the only function of the volunteers. In August of 1939 they began looking for land which could be designated as a fireman's park. Five members were appointed to get options on land for park purposes.

The next month a vote was taken to purchase the Donovan site and that the firemen sponsored this project. The vote was 26 for and 5 against.

The officers were authorized to borrow $1,500 to buy the Donovan farm of 10 acres and 17 lots more or less.

Although the idea was a good one, reading of the Sept 1939 minutes might have a person wondering what was going on at the fire department. The motion indicated that "a special meeting be held next Friday that Fireman and ladies attend to promote some affair in the near future." The minutes did not say what type of affair was being promoted.

However at the October meeting cleared up the mystery when Eugene Kappel was appointed to head the "Chicken Committee". His duty was to solicit the village for chickens. Later in the month Bert Miske was appointed to the water committee (I suspect it was for scalding the chickens) and Francis Long to the Kitchen Committee. Three volunteers went out to call at the various homes for chickens to be roasted.

Although no date was given for the chicken roast the next meeting indicates that the fund raising event involving the chicken was called the "Harvest Festival" and money raised went towards paying off the loan for the park land. Minutes indicate that immediately after the Harvest Festival, $1,000 was spent on paying for the park property loan. Evidently items were left from the fund raiser so Harold Hass, a member of the department served as auctioneer in disposing of the surplus.

The following year another Harvest Festival was held but at this time 400 chickens were purchased. Men and women shared the task of killing, plucking and preparing the chickens for the fund raiser. Chicken dinners were sold at a price of 50 cents for adults and 25 cents for children.

These chicken dinners may have been the start of a Women's Auxiliary which functioned from time to time but never really became a permanent part of the Fire Department. The state of the annual picnic may also be attributed to these fund raisers.

In 1940 thoughts were given to purchasing a truck and water tank and as usual looked to village board for their assistance in selecting the equipment. In Feb. 1940 a truck was purchased for$150 and in May of that year an additional booster tank line consisting of hose, reel, suction and water hose.

During August of '49 the membership decided to plant trees on the park property. Elm trees were purchased for $3 each and members were to report to the part to dig the holes. One hundred holes were needed. The October meeting reported "50 holes dug, 50 to go" and by November the Tree Chairman Lioyd Helminger reported that the job was completed with 105 trees been planted.

Discussion on the purchase of a new water truck began in Feb., 1950. At the April meeting Chief Art Van Kirk reported that the Town of Sherman agreed to contribute $200 annually to the Adell Fire Department. The price remained the same until 1959. At that time it was increased to $400. In keeping with the rising costs of everything, that has also risen to $10,000 annually.

TheMarch,1951 meeting was interrupted with afire call to the Charles Strack home Town of Scott. After the fire, a check for $25 was received from Charles Strack with the request that "this fire department answer any call to his home in the future." He agreed to pay for any run and praised the Adell Fire Department very highly.

In an effort to constantly improve its equipment, in Nov.'51, a used Dodge truck was purchased from Ribbons of Waldo, a used pump from the Granville Fire Department and a used tank from Western Condensing Co.

Sometime in 1952 a new fire truck was purchased and members were encouraged to attend the meetings in order to become familiar with and be able to operate the equipment. Stricter enforcement of the by-laws was also carried out. Anyone failing to attend a minimum of one meeting each quarter was automatically removed from the active list and placed him on the honorary list unless a valid excuse was presented.

A fire extinguisher sale was conducted throughout the village during 1953. Teams of firemen visited each home and the final tally showed 35 extinguishers being sold.

December 10, 1953 found the fire department getting into the Christmas spirit by assisting the Legion and village in purchasing and installing out-door Christmas decorations. The village's first community Christmas tree was erected on Dr. Bemis' lawn at the corner of Wisconsin Street and Maine Avenue. The Raphael Garcia family lives at this location today.

In May of 1954, the contract for building a refreshment stand in the Firemen's Park was awarded to Hugo Degnitz and Elwood Borkenhagen. Contract price without the digging was $1712. This did not include any wiring, screening, grill or other metal work. After viewing stands in neighboring communities, the decision was made to build it "just like the one at Beechwood." Work was not to be started until the state statutes were investigated to determine how far a refreshment stand had to be from a church or school.

After corresponding with the District Attorney, the Department of Revenue, and the State Attorney General it was learned that the restrictions were only for liquor but not for sale of beer.

Firemen got together in May,'55 to dig for the footing but once it was completed they found that "no cement was available at this time.

To rectify the situation, ready mix was purchased to do the job. The total cost of the project came to $1880.00

The same year, department members began discussing the need for a panel truck to carry small equipment to the fire and a larger building to house all of the equipment. Before the end of that year a panel truck was purchased and the village board was approached for an addition to the building.

In 1962, public water and sewer facilities were installed throughout the municipality.

One may wonder, "where did they get water for fighting fires before the village had a well and fire hydrants?" There were a number of cisterns located throughout the village which were used for that purpose. Cisterns were filled by rain water running off of buildings. At various times the cisterns were inspected for proper covers and at one time Me fire department purchased locks for the covers in an attempt to avoid a child falling in and drowning.

Once the public water system was installed, the cisterns were eventually filled in and abandoned.

It was about this time that training courses for various fire related subjects became readily available. Members contributed both their time and money to take advantage of such training. Many of the training programs continue today, some in a more sophisticated style and others continue to be basic, but all very important to the effectiveness of fire fighting and personal safety.

A new phone system was installed in October, 1962. Three "fire" phones were installed. Calls made to report afire had the phones ring in at all three locations. The first person answering would then have access to the fire siren. "Three pause, three blasts would be a village call and six pause, six blasts for an out of town call." Phones were located at Robert Federer's (now Hills Bao, Western Condensing (Adell Whey) and Nicholas Weber's home.

This practice was discontinued when the present pagers and the 911 system was instigated.

On Feb. 11, 1965 bids were let for a 60 x 72 foot steel building to be built on a floating slab. It was to contain rest rooms to the rear of the building, all with an estimated cost of $27,000.

At this same time, the firemen began to research the cost of a new truck and in April approved the purchase of a Ford Chassis at a price of $4,534 and a John Bean pressure pumper of $10,860.

The new building was dedicated in October, 1965 and the new truck arrived about the same time.

With that out of the way, the fire department began planning for its 75th anniversary celebration scheduled for August 13 and 14,1966. Everyone concentrated on making the anniversary a huge success. A history book was written by Mrs. Marie (Will) King.

Carol Koepke, daughter of Ralph and Jeanette Koepke won the honor of being the Diamond Jubilee Queen. She was assisted on a Court of Honor by Beverly Fischer, daughter of David Jr. & Emma Fischer; Helen Habeck, daughter of Albert & Luzetta Habeck; Penny LaFleur, daughter of Cyril "CV' & Elleanore LaFleur and Sherry Tempas, daughter of Elmer "Fuz" & Dorothy Tempas.

A huge parade led off the festivities on Sunday. Participating in the parade was the local Random Lake High School Band, The Championship Blatz Band, Sheboygan Marching Units and many local floats sponsored by area business and individuals.

Financially, the Fire Department gained $8,700 which was used to retire the department debt.

Improved and more efficient safety has always been the goal of this dedicated group of volunteers. They are constantly on the look-out to better themselves, their methods and the equipment.

1967 seemed to be the time of new beginnings. In addition to the new fire house being dedicated, the use of Scot Air Paks was initiated. Two units were purchased at a cost exceeding $700. Men continued to attend training seminars with the cost sometimes being consumed by the fire department and at other times by the individual.

On July 7,1968 at 7:55 a.m. a fire call came in from DuMar Chemical (now Adell Storage). Chemicals damaged by an unknown reaction caused three or four explosions. Explosions caused damage to the roof, walls and interior of the building. It was fortunate that there was very little fire damage. The only fire occurred on the roof and to a few pallets on which chemical barrels were being stored. No one was injured.

A new siren was installed in 1968 and plans were made for the purchase of a new water tanker. Both the truck and a 1,500 gallon tank were purchased in 1969 at a cost of $8,000.00. The old truck was sold to Hortonville.

The first annual fireman's banquet was held at Feclerer's hall on November 30,1968. This was a time of fun and relaxation and a time for the firemen to spend time with their wives who were always left behind for fire department affairs.

During the spring of 1970, a weekly training session was started. Every Thursday night men met at the fire station to become familiar with all aspects necessary for the safe operation of the fire equipment.

In June $3,080 was borrowed from the Adell State Bank to purchase a new Ford four wheel drive truck for fighting fires.

Chief Vernon Voeks felt a need for a second pumper for the department so in Sept'71 he appointed a committee to look into the possibility of another purchase. The committee later reported that a new Ford truck would be $5,000 and the pumper and equipment would run about $10,000 to $12,000. The truck was ordered in November with delivery expected by summer of 1972.

Safety which should always be foremost in the minds of all fire fighters, was becoming a bit relaxed, but not for long. In April of'73 Doc Bemis who had been promoted to Chief four months earlier spoke to his men stressing the importance of using the equipment such as boots, raincoats, gloves and helmets when active at a fire.

He said, "This equipment is for the benefit and safety of each man and could very well prevent serious injury while fighting all fires.

The meeting of Sept.'75 brought about the purchase of a new van at a price of $13,375 and in November voted to donate $100 toward replacing the trees which were destroyed by the deadly Dutch Elm disease. The following March, radios were ordered and plans were presented for a shelter to be built in the park, east of the fire station. The shelter was placed on hold due to the lack of extra funds but was brought to light again a year later with both the size and the cost having increased.

Things quieted down during the Bicentennial year with the most memorable thing being the Ice Storm in early spring. The entire village was littered with tree branches, the power was out for not less than 5 days, some local areas as many as ten and the village was a mess. The fire department called in its members and they assisted in cleaning up the village.

Automation was setting in all over, the fire department was no exception. Two radios were ordered in March, put into service in July and a year later more were added. After a number of years, radios were out of style and pagers became used by all fire departments. The siren is no longer sounded to call the men to a fire. Calls are channeled through the Enhanced 911 Emergency System inaugurated in 1989 and each fire department in the county answers to its own tone signal. Adell's' Department began using pagers in 1980. At that time a less sophisticated 911 system was in use. Saving of not only property but saving of lives as well was a constant goal of the fire department So in Fall of 1977 the fire department sponsored a C.P.R. Course. Forty people were enrolled in the first class. Thirty-four individuals were certified at the end of the class. A number of the present day "First Responders" were students in this class.
Eight grass fires were extinguished during April and May of 1977.

Tragedy struck the fire department in July, 1980. A quiet Sunday after noon was interrupted with a fire call to a shed fire on Torke Road, a short distance north of Indian Mound Road. An explosion occurred after fire fighters had put out what appeared to be "a routine shed fire." A quantity of fireworks being stored in the utility shed exploded, killing Fireman Robert Brooks, age 30, a father of four small children and Fireman James Bom, a lad of 20. In 85 years of existence; the Adell Fire Department never lost a fireman.

During the following year a monument plaque and flag pole were erected at the corner of Seifert Street and Wisconsin Street in honor of the two firemen who lost their lives.

In 1982, walkie talkies were added to the growing list of fire department equipment. This came in handy for better communications between the chief and his men at fires.

Silver Creek called for mutual aid in fighting the Old Fort Silver Fire in June of 1984.

By 1985, a number of the men on the department were reaching that ripe old age of 55 and letting Mother Nature take its course.

After a review of the by-Iaws of the department, the membership decided in make revisions because many of the old rules were outdated. The revised set of by-laws was adopted in November of "85.

As part of the by-laws, a list of honorary members was established. The younger members of the department took over the fire fighting duties while the honorary members primary function was to assist at picnics and other firehouse duties.. This arrangement has been working out fine.

Charter members on the honorary list were Vernon " Ben" Bichler, Earl Blanke, Ray Clark, Russ Cline, Sr., Merlin Conrad, Vernon "Tim" Emley, Jim Mondloch, Clarence "Otto" Neumann, Marvin Seider, Milton "Senator Weinhold" and Robert Weinhold.

Another CPR course was held during the Spring of 1985 with seven individuals being certified qualifying them to become First Responders. Five years ago, that group of young caring adults began maintaining a steady schedule of "on call" responders. The group has been credited with saving a life on a number of occasions, while waiting for the EMTs (Emergency Medical Technicians) and ambulance to take over.

1986 saw improvements to the fire house. A meeting room had been partitioned off earlier and now a tile floor was installed to the meeting area. A small equipment area was installed in the loft on top of the meeting room, and in 1990 the furnace was up-dated.

In July of 1989, plans were finalized for the purchase of a new pumper, a long waited piece of equipment necessary to replace the aging pumper. And just in time ... the number5 pumper failed to function at a practice that same month.

The Pierce company announced that it would be starting work on the new pumper on October with delivery expected by January, 1990.
Continuing to update the equipment both for convenience and safety, a new radio was purchased for the pumper, six more pair of bunker pants were ordered along with a 16 channel radio for the four wheel drive truck.

The new Enhanced 911 emergency system was taking place and meetings were held throughout the county to educate the public as well as the fireman on how the new system will work. Adell took an active part in these activities.

Delivery of the new pumper was coming nearer everyday. Notice was received in December that it had been painted and the truck was ready for pick-up during the first week in January, 1990.

It would have been difficult for the 1940 membership to even imagine a truck costing between $150,000 and $165,000, knowing that in 1940 a truck was purchased for only $150. Needless to say, there is no comparison of these two pieces of equipment and today's new truck is as essential as was the one purchased in 1940.

Costs of the new pumper was shared with the Village of Adell, and the Towns of Sherman and Holland.

An arsonist suspected in starting a number of barn fires during the period from October 4,1987 thru April 1988 has not been caught. During this time, a number of barns were burned, almost systematically, one per week. The arson has stopped and hopefully will not be experienced again.

You can be sure that on the night of May 23,1988 when the fire alarm was sounded, there wasn't a fireman in the department that didn't say to them selves, "not another barn fire." Indeed, it wasn't. However is was afire at the Adell Co-op Mill. It could have been a disaster to this small village. However, the Adell Fire Department joining its efforts with neighboring departments managed to contain the destruction to the mill property. The fire believed to have been caused by an electrical malfunction resulted in a loss set at $355,000.

Adell and the other departments in the area should be commended for their efforts in preventing the fire from spreading to neighboring buildings.

The Adell Fire Department has come a long way since its beginning. Dedicated citizens from the surrounding community continue to donate their time to a most worthy activity, saving of lives and property.

As we approach the Centennial Celebration, I would like to extend my congratulations and best wishes to this dedicated group of hardworking men and women who give of their time to serve all of us.

I felt honored when asked to compile the history of this great organization and I apologize for anything which may have been left out unintentionally. Once again, thank you and best wishes for continued success in the future.

- Written by Bernadette Mondloch


© Adell Fire Department 2018. All rights reserved.