Fire Department 1891 to 1991|
Benjamin Harrison was president of the United States, Levi P.
Morton his Vice President and electricity was being installed in
the White House in 1891. George W. Peck was governor of Wisconsin,
and a group consisting of nineteen dedicated men from the area
which came to be known as Adell, were busy organizing a fire
Before we get into the history of the fire department it would be
well to learn a little about the early beginnings of the Village
Located in the southern part of Sheboygan County, and known as
Sherman Station, this village owed its' existence to the railroad
which was the main factor in maintaining the village's growth, as
was the case with other villages which sprung up along the tracks.
Christian Gersmehl was the owner of 160 acres of land at this
location, land which he had held since 1853. The "Wisconsin
Central" railroad came through in 1873. This inspired
Gersmehl to layout a part of his farm into lots and named it
Sherman, after the township in which it was located. Because of
the railroad it gradually became known as Sherman Station.
Prior to 1853, abstracts of the village indicate that at least a
part of the present village was owned by Willis Stanely in 1847.
Although Adell was not incorporated as a village until 1918, the
history of white inhabitants dates all the way back to 1848, just
10 years after the creation of Sheboygan County.
One of the early settlers of Sherman Station was Jacob Hazner, who
was a carpenter by trade and practically built this little hamlet.
Its' name was changed to Adell about 1890, by Noah Saemann, an
early postmaster, probably because it lies in a wide dell or
The first streets were names State, Maine and Sherman. In only
nine years the population had grown to 61.
The railroad was the main factor in determining the permanence of
Adell. Following the erection of a depot, a new post office was
built, a hotel ... the Union House was put up, and a home for the
depot agent was built.
The American Hotel (today's Hill's Bar& Grill) was founded at
Adell in 1877 by Daniel Steuerwald who had come to America in
1842, at the age of two. After serving in the Civil War, he became
the hotel's proprietor.
Adell continued to grow as is evidenced in the Wisconsin State
Business Director published in 1889. It lists the population as
140. The nearest banking facility was located in Plymouth, ten
miles to the north. Mail was delivered daily to G. Zuengleirwho
was the postmasters well as operator of a furniture store. The
village had two livery stables operated by Wm. Borkenhagen and
Gustav Degnitz. George Mantel and Henry Miller
served the community as shoemakers and overnight travelers stayed
at the hotel operated by F. Winter. E. B. Rook was the railroad,
express and telegraph agent.
E.B. Burr and Co. was the manufacturer of preserves. Residents
could purchase wagons from W.C. Goldammer who was the wagon maker
and plows from plow maker Charles Helminger. Charles is the Great
Grandfather of Mark Helminger, who is currently resides in the
Horse harnesses were made and repaired in Herman Weinhold's
Harness Shop. The 1885 Gazeteer lists the name as "Weinholt."
To complete the picture, there was Gottlieb Hillger, the village
Unlike the existence of 4 taverns within the village today, in
1889, only one saloon served the town and it was operated by
Edward Hackett. Noah Saemann ran the general store which was
destroyed by fire in 1912. h,
The story goes that early on an October morning, robbers blew open
the safe in the store. This resulted in a fire which destroyed the
building and the stock. It was believed that the burglar was the
same person who Mr. Saemann had picked up as a hitch hiker earlier
in the day and had given him a ride from Plymouth to Adell. The
man was never apprehended.
After the fire, Saemann rebuilt the store and it continued to be
operated as a grocery store until 4 years ago. It is now occupied
by an antique store called "Sentimental Journey."
Joseph Kilb was chosen as Adell's first village president at the
time of its incorporation in 1918 and was also the first president
of the Adell Fire Department acquiring that position at the time
of the departments' incorporation in 1915.
Volunteer fire fighters have been around as long as history
beginning with the old bucket brigades.
The recorded story of fire in America begins in May of 1607 at
Jamestown. The first recorded fire in America occurred when the
community blockhouse caught fire. Most apparel, lodging and
private provisions were destroyed.
Fires occurring throughout the first American colonies was not
uncommon. Perhaps the chief cause of fire during the early
Colonial period was chimneys. In America as in Europe, chimneys
were made of wood, lined and covered with mortar or bud. As the
covering grew dry and chipped away from the wood, the chimney was
exposed directly to the fire. Similar problems arouse when
chimneys became clogged with wood tar, causing chimney fires which
would enkindle the wood structures.
Ordinances established in the early 1600's called on citizens to
fill three-gallon buckets of water at sunset and leave them on
their doorstops. Bucket brigades gathered the waiting buckets and
hooks and ladders and raced to the fire scene.
As it was then, it is true today that being a volunteer in the
fire department is a source of great pride.
These volunteer companies provided equipment at their own
expense engines, ladders, and so on. It was stored at strategic
places within the community.
Different means of raising funds needed to maintain equipment has
always been a problem for fire companies as they were called in
On the local scene, it was in 1891 that a group of Adell citizens
felt the need of fire protection for their thriving community. The
first Adell Fire Department was formed and was known as the
"Bucket Brigade." Charter members of the Adell Bucket
John F. Ehle
Fred A. Mehlos
George W. Forbes
|James, Dunn, Sr.
Because of the existence of the railroad, there were frequently
stragglers hopping off of freight cars and looking for food and
shelter from the village residents.. In order to handle these
people and to provide for shelter during their stay within the
confines of the village, a special little house was built on Maine
Avenue directly west of the present Adell Whey Co. Food was
provided by Fred Mehlos who operated the tavern now being occupied
by Richard Schwab's Scooter Bar.
Tramps could partake of breakfast and supper as guests of the
After supper these transients were taken to the so-called
"Tramp House" for a free night's lodging. One nights
hospitality was all that was allowed for in the morning the men
were told to be on their way and out of the village.
Some years later the "Tramp House" was moved to a spot
now occupied by the Adell Post Office. This became the first fire
house, complete with a wooden tower, in which was stored ladders
and pails, which was about all the equipment the men owned. A
number of years later this building was destroyed by a fire and a
new building was built on Wisconsin Street.
On May 26th, 1915 A.R. Capelle, Gottlieb Capelle, A.A. Cramer,
Louis Degnitz, LA. Goldammer, Henry Haas, JW. Hess, Otto Hillger,
Jos. W. Kilb, Frank Lamb, William Ludwig, John Pietenpol, E.F.
Schilling, Henry Tenpas, L. VanEss, George F. Young, L.C. Ziegler,
Phillip Zuengler, William and Zuengler signed the Articles of
Incorporation, organizing the Adell Volunteer Fire Department.
first election of officers of the corporation was held on June
10th, 1915 at Young's Hall. Presently this building is occupied by
Wayne and Arlene Hill at 622 Maine Avenue.
It was also on this date that Henry Weinhold &wife deeded to
the Adel I Fire Department a 40 by 75 foot parcel of land on which
to construct a building which was to be used to house the fire
equipment. This building located at5l 0 Wisconsin Street continues
today as the St. Patrick's Parish Center.
After it was no longer used by the fire department, it was
purchased by American Legion Post *462, remodeled and became known
as the Adell Civic Center. It was used for Village Board Meetings,
Homemakers, the Legion, the local 4-H club and from time to time
for family social functions. In 1986 the Village purchased the
former Adell School building, St. Patrick's Parish bought the
Civic Center and is using it for religion classes, parish socials
and from time to time it is rented for various family activities.
With incorporation behind them, the fire
department looked to improving their
equipment. During 1915 the bucket
brigade used buckets gave way to a hand
pumped fire wagon. Although it has long
since been retired from active duty, it
continues to be a prized possession of the
department today. Ellsworth Navis, who served
as the Village Clerk for over 20 years,
remembers the old bucket brigade and recalls
that the buckets were made of fiber. After their
contents were handed to the men on the roof and emptied of their
were tossed to the ground to be used again.
Borkenhagen operated the blacksmith shop which was located at the
corner of Sherman Avenue and Wisconsin Street. Up until. several
years ago, this was the site of Bill Miske's blacksmith shop, a
business which he took over from his father Oscar.
Richard's brother Ernst was a well known blacksmith in Plymouth.
These two brothers are shown with Adell's first Fire Department
Wagon which they built for the fire department. There are no dates
with the picture, however it is known that Richard operated the
blacksmith shop until 1928, when he moved to the farm in the Town
of Sherman, now Kaiser Wrecking, on County A.
Three years after incorporation of the Adell Fire Department, on
February 20,1918 the Village of Adell decided to become
incorporated. President Joseph Kilb was assisted by Clerk Edgar
Schilling, Treasurer William Zuengler and Supervisor George Young,
and Trustees U.S. Swan and A.A. Bettner.
October 14,1918 the Adell Volunteer Fire Department sold land and
Equipment to the Village for $1.00 and with it accepted a mortgage
debt, for $600.
A humorous note taken from the minutes of the September 1934
meeting read: "Motion was made and approved to have a ten
minute recess to enjoy a Watermelon presented by our President Mr.
John Plekenpol. Carried." This followed by: "Motion made
and approved that we extend a vote to Thanks to our President for
the watermelon. Carried.
Adell Firemen's band was organized in fall of 1934. There isn't
any other reference to the band in the minutes but a picture of
the group would indicate that they were of substantial size and
could put out some good "foot stomping" music. Village
resident Arthur Heidel recalls that picnics were held in George
Kilb's park (the George Shaver home site today) and the bank would
furnish the music.
A chat with Elmer Machut of Sherman Center revealed that he was
once a member of the band (possible in the early 20's) but doesn't
think he is in the picture. The Adell Fireman's Band practiced in
the second story of the Adell Bank. They earned money playing at
picnics and at playing at a church event would entitle them to a
free dinner at the event.
Meeting records are not available for the years between 1924 and
1934 but items listed after those dates indicate that a fire truck
complete with rubber tires had been purchased to replace the hand
pumper. This 1929 REO Speedwagon is still in possession if the
The next year the department sponsored a baseball team and began
making plans for a homecoming. Details of the homecoming were not
explained in the department minutes.
During 1938 the department added to their list of equipment by
authorizing the purchase of a 50 ft. chain and a pair of asbestos
gloves. Members were also investigating the purchase of a small
hose and a spray nozzle and two members were sent to Madison to
attend fire school.
After making a decision to honor the deceased members of the fire
department by flying the flag at half mast on a specific day of
the year, it was discovered that the department did not own a flag
and so the village was petitioned for a new flag.
Training sessions were formed and Captains were established for
the purpose of more effectively performing their duties at the
fire scene. Volunteers were assigned to Captains and were to
report to that person when arriving at the fire.
On a more humorous note, the July 1939 minutes indicate "The
Fire chief was absent without leave on account of Movies at
Firefighting was not the only function of the volunteers. In
August of 1939 they began looking for land which could be
designated as a fireman's park. Five members were appointed to get
options on land for park purposes.
The next month a vote was taken to purchase the Donovan site and
that the firemen sponsored this project. The vote was 26 for and 5
The officers were authorized to borrow $1,500 to buy the Donovan
farm of 10 acres and 17 lots more or less.
Although the idea was a good one, reading of the Sept 1939 minutes
might have a person wondering what was going on at the fire
department. The motion indicated that "a special meeting be
held next Friday that Fireman and ladies attend to promote some
affair in the near future." The minutes did not say what type
of affair was being promoted.
However at the October meeting cleared up the mystery when Eugene
Kappel was appointed to head the "Chicken Committee".
His duty was to solicit the village for chickens. Later in the
month Bert Miske was appointed to the water committee (I suspect
it was for scalding the chickens) and Francis Long to the Kitchen
Committee. Three volunteers went out to call at the various homes
for chickens to be roasted.
Although no date was given for the chicken roast the next meeting
indicates that the fund raising event involving the chicken was
called the "Harvest Festival" and money raised went
towards paying off the loan for the park land. Minutes indicate
that immediately after the Harvest Festival, $1,000 was spent on
paying for the park property loan. Evidently items were left from
the fund raiser so Harold Hass, a member of the department served
as auctioneer in disposing of the surplus.
The following year another Harvest Festival was held but at this
time 400 chickens were purchased. Men and women shared the task of
killing, plucking and preparing the chickens for the fund raiser.
Chicken dinners were sold at a price of 50 cents for adults and 25
cents for children.
These chicken dinners may have been the start of a Women's
Auxiliary which functioned from time to time but never really
became a permanent part of the Fire Department. The state of the
annual picnic may also be attributed to these fund raisers.
In 1940 thoughts were given to purchasing a truck and water tank
and as usual looked to village board for their assistance in
selecting the equipment. In Feb. 1940 a truck was purchased
for$150 and in May of that year an additional booster tank line
consisting of hose, reel, suction and water hose.
During August of '49 the membership decided to plant trees on the
park property. Elm trees were purchased for $3 each and members
were to report to the part to dig the holes. One hundred holes
were needed. The October meeting reported "50 holes dug, 50
to go" and by November the Tree Chairman Lioyd Helminger
reported that the job was completed with 105 trees been planted.
Discussion on the purchase of a new water truck began in Feb.,
1950. At the April meeting Chief Art Van Kirk reported that the
Town of Sherman agreed to contribute $200 annually to the Adell
Fire Department. The price remained the same until 1959. At that
time it was increased to $400. In keeping with the rising costs of
everything, that has also risen to $10,000 annually.
TheMarch,1951 meeting was interrupted with afire call to the
Charles Strack home Town of Scott. After the fire, a check for $25
was received from Charles Strack with the request that "this
fire department answer any call to his home in the future."
He agreed to pay for any run and praised the Adell Fire Department
In an effort to constantly improve its equipment, in Nov.'51, a
used Dodge truck was purchased from Ribbons of Waldo, a used pump
from the Granville Fire Department and a used tank from Western
Sometime in 1952 a new fire truck was purchased and members were
encouraged to attend the meetings in order to become familiar with
and be able to operate the equipment. Stricter enforcement of the
by-laws was also carried out. Anyone failing to attend a minimum
of one meeting each quarter was automatically removed from the
active list and placed him on the honorary list unless a valid
excuse was presented.
A fire extinguisher sale was conducted throughout the village
during 1953. Teams of firemen visited each home and the final
tally showed 35 extinguishers being sold.
December 10, 1953 found the fire department getting into the
Christmas spirit by assisting the Legion and village in purchasing
and installing out-door Christmas decorations. The village's first
community Christmas tree was erected on Dr. Bemis' lawn at the
corner of Wisconsin Street and Maine Avenue. The Raphael Garcia
family lives at this location today.
In May of 1954, the contract for building a refreshment stand in
the Firemen's Park was awarded to Hugo Degnitz and Elwood
Borkenhagen. Contract price without the digging was $1712. This
did not include any wiring, screening, grill or other metal work.
After viewing stands in neighboring communities, the decision was
made to build it "just like the one at Beechwood." Work
was not to be started until the state statutes were investigated
to determine how far a refreshment stand had to be from a church
After corresponding with the District Attorney, the Department of
Revenue, and the State Attorney General it was learned that the
restrictions were only for liquor but not for sale of beer.
Firemen got together in May,'55 to dig for the footing but once it
was completed they found that "no cement was available at
To rectify the situation, ready mix was purchased to do the job.
The total cost of the project came to $1880.00
The same year, department members began discussing the need for a
panel truck to carry small equipment to the fire and a larger
building to house all of the equipment. Before the end of that
year a panel truck was purchased and the village board was
approached for an addition to the building.
In 1962, public water and sewer facilities were installed
throughout the municipality.
One may wonder, "where did they get water for fighting fires
before the village had a well and fire hydrants?" There were
a number of cisterns located throughout the village which were
used for that purpose. Cisterns were filled by rain water running
off of buildings. At various times the cisterns were inspected for
proper covers and at one time Me fire department purchased locks
for the covers in an attempt to avoid a child falling in and
Once the public water system was installed, the cisterns were
eventually filled in and abandoned.
It was about this time that training courses for various fire
related subjects became readily available. Members contributed
both their time and money to take advantage of such training. Many
of the training programs continue today, some in a more
sophisticated style and others continue to be basic, but all very
important to the effectiveness of fire fighting and personal
A new phone system was installed in October, 1962. Three
"fire" phones were installed. Calls made to report afire
had the phones ring in at all three locations. The first person
answering would then have access to the fire siren. "Three
pause, three blasts would be a village call and six pause, six
blasts for an out of town call." Phones were located at
Robert Federer's (now Hills Bao, Western Condensing (Adell Whey)
and Nicholas Weber's home.
This practice was discontinued when the present pagers and the 911
system was instigated.
On Feb. 11, 1965 bids were let for a 60 x 72 foot steel building
to be built on a floating slab. It was to contain rest rooms to
the rear of the building, all with an estimated cost of $27,000.
At this same time, the firemen began to research the cost of a new
truck and in April approved the purchase of a Ford Chassis at a
price of $4,534 and a John Bean pressure pumper of $10,860.
The new building was dedicated in October, 1965 and the new truck
arrived about the same time.
With that out of the way, the fire department began planning for
its 75th anniversary celebration scheduled for August 13 and
14,1966. Everyone concentrated on making the anniversary a huge
success. A history book was written by Mrs. Marie (Will) King.
Carol Koepke, daughter of Ralph and Jeanette Koepke won the honor
of being the Diamond Jubilee Queen. She was assisted on a Court of
Honor by Beverly Fischer, daughter of David Jr. & Emma
Fischer; Helen Habeck, daughter of Albert & Luzetta Habeck;
Penny LaFleur, daughter of Cyril "CV' & Elleanore LaFleur
and Sherry Tempas, daughter of Elmer "Fuz" & Dorothy
A huge parade led off the festivities on Sunday. Participating in
the parade was the local Random Lake High School Band, The
Championship Blatz Band, Sheboygan Marching Units and many local
floats sponsored by area business and individuals.
Financially, the Fire Department gained $8,700 which was used to
retire the department debt.
Improved and more efficient safety has always been the goal of
this dedicated group of volunteers. They are constantly on the
look-out to better themselves, their methods and the equipment.
1967 seemed to be the time of new beginnings. In addition to the
new fire house being dedicated, the use of Scot Air Paks was
initiated. Two units were purchased at a cost exceeding $700. Men
continued to attend training seminars with the cost sometimes
being consumed by the fire department and at other times by the
On July 7,1968 at 7:55 a.m. a fire call came in from DuMar
Chemical (now Adell Storage). Chemicals damaged by an unknown
reaction caused three or four explosions. Explosions caused damage
to the roof, walls and interior of the building. It was fortunate
that there was very little fire damage. The only fire occurred on
the roof and to a few pallets on which chemical barrels were being
stored. No one was injured.
A new siren was installed in 1968 and plans were made for the
purchase of a new water tanker. Both the truck and a 1,500 gallon
tank were purchased in 1969 at a cost of $8,000.00. The old truck
was sold to Hortonville.
The first annual fireman's banquet was held at Feclerer's hall on
November 30,1968. This was a time of fun and relaxation and a time
for the firemen to spend time with their wives who were always
left behind for fire department affairs.
During the spring of 1970, a weekly training session was started.
Every Thursday night men met at the fire station to become
familiar with all aspects necessary for the safe operation of the
In June $3,080 was borrowed from the Adell State Bank to purchase
a new Ford four wheel drive truck for fighting fires.
Chief Vernon Voeks felt a need for a second pumper for the
department so in Sept'71 he appointed a committee to look into the
possibility of another purchase. The committee later reported that
a new Ford truck would be $5,000 and the pumper and equipment
would run about $10,000 to $12,000. The truck was ordered in
November with delivery expected by summer of 1972.
Safety which should always be foremost in the minds of all fire
fighters, was becoming a bit relaxed, but not for long. In April
of'73 Doc Bemis who had been promoted to Chief four months earlier
spoke to his men stressing the importance of using the equipment
such as boots, raincoats, gloves and helmets when active at a
He said, "This equipment is for the benefit and safety of
each man and could very well prevent serious injury while fighting
The meeting of Sept.'75 brought about the purchase of a new van at
a price of $13,375 and in November voted to donate $100 toward
replacing the trees which were destroyed by the deadly Dutch Elm
disease. The following March, radios were ordered and plans were
presented for a shelter to be built in the park, east of the fire
station. The shelter was placed on hold due to the lack of extra
funds but was brought to light again a year later with both the
size and the cost having increased.
Things quieted down during the Bicentennial year with the most
memorable thing being the Ice Storm in early spring. The entire
village was littered with tree branches, the power was out for not
less than 5 days, some local areas as many as ten and the village
was a mess. The fire department called in its members and they
assisted in cleaning up the village.
Automation was setting in all over, the fire department was no
exception. Two radios were ordered in March, put into service in
July and a year later more were added. After a number of years,
radios were out of style and pagers became used by all fire
departments. The siren is no longer sounded to call the men to a
fire. Calls are channeled through the Enhanced 911 Emergency
System inaugurated in 1989 and each fire department in the county
answers to its own tone signal. Adell's' Department began using
pagers in 1980. At that time a less sophisticated 911 system was
in use. Saving of not only property but saving of lives as well
was a constant goal of the fire department So in Fall of 1977 the
fire department sponsored a C.P.R. Course. Forty people were
enrolled in the first class. Thirty-four individuals were
certified at the end of the class. A number of the present day
"First Responders" were students in this class.
Eight grass fires were extinguished during April and May of 1977.
struck the fire department in July, 1980. A quiet Sunday after
noon was interrupted with a fire call to a shed fire on Torke
Road, a short distance north of Indian Mound Road. An explosion
occurred after fire fighters had put out what appeared to be
"a routine shed fire." A quantity of fireworks being
stored in the utility shed exploded, killing Fireman Robert
Brooks, age 30, a father of four small children and Fireman James
Bom, a lad of 20. In 85 years of existence; the Adell Fire
Department never lost a fireman.
During the following year a monument plaque and flag pole were
erected at the corner of Seifert Street and Wisconsin Street in
honor of the two firemen who lost their lives.
In 1982, walkie talkies were added to the growing list of fire
department equipment. This came in handy for better communications
between the chief and his men at fires.
Silver Creek called for mutual aid in fighting the Old Fort Silver
Fire in June of 1984.
1985, a number of the men on the department were reaching that
ripe old age of 55 and letting Mother Nature take its course.
After a review of the by-Iaws of the department, the membership
decided in make revisions because many of the old rules were
outdated. The revised set of by-laws was adopted in November of
As part of the by-laws, a list of honorary members was
established. The younger members of the department took over the
fire fighting duties while the honorary members primary function
was to assist at picnics and other firehouse duties.. This
arrangement has been working out fine.
Charter members on the honorary list were Vernon " Ben"
Bichler, Earl Blanke, Ray Clark, Russ Cline, Sr., Merlin Conrad,
Vernon "Tim" Emley, Jim Mondloch, Clarence
"Otto" Neumann, Marvin Seider, Milton "Senator
Weinhold" and Robert Weinhold.
Another CPR course was held during the Spring of 1985 with seven
individuals being certified qualifying them to become First
Responders. Five years ago, that group of young caring adults
began maintaining a steady schedule of "on call"
responders. The group has been credited with saving a life on a
number of occasions, while waiting for the EMTs (Emergency Medical
Technicians) and ambulance to take over.
1986 saw improvements to the fire house. A meeting room had been
partitioned off earlier and now a tile floor was installed to the
meeting area. A small equipment area was installed in the loft on
top of the meeting room, and in 1990 the furnace was up-dated.
July of 1989, plans were finalized for the purchase of a new
pumper, a long waited piece of equipment necessary to replace the
aging pumper. And just in time ... the number5 pumper failed to
function at a practice that same month.
The Pierce company announced that it would be starting work on the
new pumper on October with delivery expected by January, 1990.
Continuing to update the equipment both for convenience and
safety, a new radio was purchased for the pumper, six more pair of
bunker pants were ordered along with a 16 channel radio for the
four wheel drive truck.
The new Enhanced 911 emergency system was taking place and
meetings were held throughout the county to educate the public as
well as the fireman on how the new system will work. Adell took an
active part in these activities.
Delivery of the new pumper was coming nearer everyday. Notice was
received in December that it had been painted and the truck was
ready for pick-up during the first week in January, 1990.
It would have been difficult for the 1940 membership to even
imagine a truck costing between $150,000 and $165,000, knowing
that in 1940 a truck was purchased for only $150. Needless to say,
there is no comparison of these two pieces of equipment and
today's new truck is as essential as was the one purchased in
Costs of the new pumper was shared with the Village of Adell, and
the Towns of Sherman and Holland.
An arsonist suspected in starting a number of barn fires during
the period from October 4,1987 thru April 1988 has not been
caught. During this time, a number of barns were burned, almost
systematically, one per week. The arson has stopped and hopefully
will not be experienced again.
can be sure that on the night of May 23,1988 when the fire alarm
was sounded, there wasn't a fireman in the department that didn't
say to them selves, "not another barn fire." Indeed, it
wasn't. However is was afire at the Adell Co-op Mill. It could
have been a disaster to this small village. However, the Adell
Fire Department joining its efforts with neighboring departments
managed to contain the destruction to the mill property. The fire
believed to have been caused by an electrical malfunction resulted
in a loss set at $355,000.
and the other departments in the area should be commended for
their efforts in preventing the fire from spreading to neighboring
The Adell Fire Department has come a long way since its beginning.
Dedicated citizens from the surrounding community continue to
donate their time to a most worthy activity, saving of lives and
As we approach the Centennial Celebration, I would like to extend
my congratulations and best wishes to this dedicated group of
hardworking men and women who give of their time to serve all of
I felt honored when asked to compile the history of this great
organization and I apologize for anything which may have been left
out unintentionally. Once again, thank you and best wishes for
continued success in the future.
- Written by Bernadette Mondloch
ADELL VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT CENTENNIAL Published 1991